For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
Books and Supplies Advance Policy
Students can determine if they have excess anticipated funding to use for the purchase of books and supplies by logging in the Self Service Portal and following the link for Student Finance. Once in the system, you can follow the link under the Your Account section to view real time activity. If you see a credit balance at the bottom, that means that you do have excess funds. The bookstore can also determine if you have excess funds by entering your student ID in their system. If, after purchasing books and/or supplies with anticipated financial aid, the student's aid is canceled or adjusted, the student will then be responsible for any charges not covered by their financial aid.
In the spirit of good stewardship regarding student financial aid and our responsibility to provide access to higher education to our students, Massachusetts Maritime Academy will adhere to the following policy regarding advancing financial aid funds (from all sources) to students to assist with their purchase of books and supplies (to include the requirement that all students have their own laptop, tablet or other computing device).
- MMA will allow students to access anticipated excess financial aid funds beginning 10 calendar days prior to the start of the semester.
- There is no limit to the amount of anticipated excess aid that the student can use if purchasing their books in the Follett Bookstore.
- Students may access up to $750 per semester for books if they are purchasing them somewhere other than through the Follett Bookstore.
- If the cost of their books is greater than $750 and the student can provide documentation of the higher cost, the Office of Student Financial Services will allow the higher amount, provided the student has enough anticipated credit on their account.
- Students may also access up to $1500 to purchase a laptop or other computing device.
- If the cost of the laptop or other computing device is greater than $1500 and the student can provide documentation of the higher cost, the Office of Student Financial Services will allow the higher amount, provided the student has enough anticipated credit on their account.
- Students may access up to $200 for clothing (required PT gear and uniform upkeep).
If, for any reason, the student does not receive the full anticipated financial aid for the semester, the student will be responsible for repaying up to the full amount that was accessed in advance of the funds being received by Massachusetts Maritime Academy.