For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
Spring 2020 Pass/Fail Policy Addendum
Given the extraordinary circumstances of the Spring 2020 semester, the Pass/Fail Policy will be amended as follows:
- All students, regardless of GPA, will be allowed to take any number of courses pass/fail, in the 2020 spring semester.
- Courses taken pass/fail in the 2020 spring semester will not count toward the aggregate number of pass/fail courses allowed under existing policy.
- The pass/fail option cannot be used for STCW courses.
- A pass/fail grade will not be accepted as satisfying the prerequisite requirement of a C- or better.
- Students who choose the pass/fail option for any course will be exempt from consideration for Dean’s or President’s List.
- Students must submit a digital Pass/Fail Request Form to their instructor by no later than the last day of classes, June 9, 2020.
- The policy changes described above apply only to undergraduate courses and do not apply to graduate courses.
At the conclusion of the Spring 2020 semester, the traditional Pass/Fail Policy will resume.
Traditional Pass/Fail Policy
Eligibility: No course required for a major degree may be taken as a pass/fail option. Permission to take an eligible course for a pass/fail grade is granted at the sole discretion of the instructor. To request the pass/fail course option, a student must have a current academic standing of junior or senior status and a minimum cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 2.5. The student must submit a fully completed request form to the Registrar prior to the end of the add/drop period; otherwise, the student will be graded according to the existing Academic Grading Standards. A student may take no more than one pass-fail course in a given semester and no more than two pass-fail courses as part of his or her overall curriculum.
Grading: The student’s grade shall be calculated on the same basis as that used for all other students taking the course. The student shall receive a ‘P’ for a grade that exceeds the instructor’s established passing benchmark. The student shall receive an ‘F’ for a grade that falls below the instructor’s established passing benchmark. A passing grade of ‘P’ will not affect the student’s cumulative grade point average (CGPA) and will be excluded from any GPA calculations. However, a failing grade of ‘F’ will negatively affect the student’s CGPA by the applicable course credit being included in the calculation of the semester grade point average and the CGPA.